Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Terri Schiavo, Marriage and Death

As I think about the Terri Schiavo situation I wonder if those who are trying to protect Terri over the objections of her husband really understand what it means to honor a sacred trust as marriage? I know this sounds harsh, however as the religious right tries to "protect the sanctity of marriage" they intrude into a family situation and apparently negate the very sanctity they are trying to protect. This intrusion into this situation bothers the hell out of me. Why you may ask, it is because of a little bracelet that is on my wife's wrist. On this medic alert bracelet are three profound words "do not resuscitate." With the bracelet and an advanced medical directive she has made it clear that when she is no longer able to speak and act for herself she wants God to have her.

As her husband it is my honor and duty to see that I am her voice when she cannot speak. I am her husband while she lives. By biblical standards the courts rightfully gave her husband custody over his wife. Why oh why did the religious right even get involved? They should of been cheering that her husband had custody. Somewhere in there the courts had some common sense. Why would we want to change that behavior? Here was a perfect opportunity to show that Christians were serious about marriage, whether or not her husband did the perfect thing. He clearly did what he felt was in Terri's interest and we should of trusted his actions. After seven years in the courts, it was clear he didn't make the decision haphazardly.

What the law makers should be doing is making the process clearer not more involved. Why prolong the suffering? Why prolong the financial burden? I have been married to my wife twenty plus years all of which she has endured constant chronic illness and miserable suffering. She is amazingly brave and very tired of her suffering. After twenty years I am still in no hurry to have God take her home to heaven, though she says that she is more than ready. I am hoping and praying that when God takes her it will be without me having to tell a doctor to "pull the plug." If that day comes and I have to make that awful decision the last thing I want is the courts to get involved and second guess my (her) decision. There comes a time when we must die. There is no sin to let nature take its course (just ask people in the third world) and I will fight to let my wife have her way in this. When my wife is no longer able to speak and act for herself, she has made it clear that she is saying this "let me die I am not afraid, and oh death where is thy sting, I am glory bound."

This is her faith (and mine) and as her husband I will help her see it through to the end. As in Terri's case the courts should just let us be the spouses God has said we are. To love my spouse as my own body, it may seem odd that this may be to let my beloved die without interference. Let's keep marriage sacred, till death do us part.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Zorina Seva said...

I loved this entry. What a brave man you are, with a solid heart to carry out your beloved's wishes even if it could pain you to!

P.S. Bah, I saw one comment, and it turned out to be a spam!!

>:(

Blogger should have some kind of protection over this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home