Thursday, June 17, 2004

Grace to Serve

I read today a news article about a four year old boy who was roughed-up a little during a major league baseball game. It seems that a twenty-eight year old man was more interested in obtaining a foul ball that dropped right in front of the four year old than in the little boy's well being. In the process of getting the ball, the man muscled his way around the little boy. The whole event was apparently captured on television. The man was booed by the stadium crowd and even his companions left the game early. Still, the man kept the ball. To the benefit of the four year old, several of the baseball players gave the little boy baseball bats and autographed baseballs to make up for the lost ball.

This outpouring to the four year old was cool to see, but what was of interest to me was the young man. It seems that the news agencies found out who the man was. Apparently, the young man was a Christian, and a former youth pastor to boot. The people who knew him said he was a "nice guy", and that he must of just "lost his head in the excitement." An event that would of been ignored, a four year old recovering a baseball, became a national covered event because of a seemingly selfish moment. I wonder what the man is thinking about all this now? Was is worth it?

I am not above getting "caught in the moment," and I too find myself tarnished in such moments. So, what do I do to recover from such moments. Well, after I go through denial, anger, depression, and acceptance, I humble myself and ask for forgiveness. For instance, after yelling at the "jerk" who recklessly cut me off in traffic, I try to justify my behavior (needlessly angry). First I tell God its not my fault I'm angry, then I get angry that I'm angry, then I get depressed that I got angry again (2nd time that morning), then I find myself saying something like the following. "Dear Lord, I'm mad and I shouldn't be. Please help me be more patient with those around me. Help that person in front of me be a more careful driver and help them safely get to where they are going." I choose to lay down my rights and accept that I would rather be right in Christ than self righteous.

As a believer I have been given the opportunity (the grace) to lay down my rights (entitlements) and be like Christ (humble for starters). "If anyone wants to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all" (Mark 9:35). This is how Jesus has ask us to live. Everywhere we go, and this is hard, we are being asked of God to serve those around us whether or not we approve of them. As servants we lay down our rights (judgments, entitlements) in order that others may see and experience Christ.

I willingly choose this servant-like behavior because of the love that God has shown me and placed in my heart. Every day his grace gives me new opportunity and freedom to serve others. Because of His love for me, I am being transformed into being like Christ, a liberated servant.





1 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger David Cutler said...

It was on the radio that the man had a change of heart and has decided to give the baseball to the little boy. Though the world may still see the man as "a jerk", God sees a heart willing to change and gives grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home